Monday, July 7, 2014

Stuffed Acorn Squash

I made this for dinner last night and I loved it. Definitely hit the spot! The acorn squash I picked from my yard so it made it that much better knowing I grew it. I am going to start writing about the health benefits of what I am cooking. It will help myself refresh on the nutrition value and hopefully it can help you too. As much as I try to eat healthy it is still always hard for me to get enough of a certain nutrient in everyday. I do take a multivitamin but I always try to get the nutrients in naturally, if I don't then I'll take a multi vitamin. If your wondering how I keep track of my nutrients everyday, I use Fitness Pal app. You type in your food through out the day and can check how many calories and what percentage of nutrients you are getting. I don't do it everyday but a few times a week just to stay on track.

Acorn Squash Benefits-
-High in vitamin A and C
-13% of recommended daily allowance of potassium
-11% of magesium
-5 grams of dietary fiber per 1/2 cup
High amount of the antioxidant beta carotene

RECIPE

Ingredients:
1 Acorn squash

2 cloves mince garlic
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1/4 cup each:
Ground beef-grass feed is always best
Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
Onion chopped
Black Beans cooked
Broccoli frozen or raw cut in pieces

Grated Romano and Asiago Cheese
Fresh Basil

Cut squash in half and discard the seeds. Place face down in an oven proof dish. Fill with half inch of water.Cook 40 minutes or until tender. While the squash is cooking brown beef and drain fat. I drain it in a strainer to get as much fat out as possible.  Add olive oil to pan til hot. Add garlic then yellow pepper, onion, black beans and broccoli. Heat just until warm. You can add some salt and pepper here. I used some pink Himalayan salt. When the squash is done stuff them with the stuffing. Top with cheeses. Broil until brown. Serve with fresh basil on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment