Saturday, February 28, 2015

Habanero Garlic Sauerkraut

I made Habanero Garlic Sauerkraut with carrots and fresh parsley.I ate it in three days I loved it so much. Sauerkraut is a great raw food because it has so many beneficial vitamins.It is a full of vitamins C, B, and K. The fermentation process increases the bioavailability of nutrients rendering sauerkraut even more nutritious than the original cabbage. It is also low in calories and high in calcium and magnesium, and it is a very good source of dietary fiber, folate, iron, potassium, copper and manganese. If unpasteurized and uncooked, sauerkraut also contains live lactobacilli and beneficial microbes and is rich in enzymes.The fiber and supply of probiotics improve digestion and promote the growth of healthy bowel flora, protecting against many diseases of the digestive tract.This is the same beneficial ingredients found in yogurt.If you want the good bacteria without the cows milk this is a great alternative. Store bought is not the same as it is heated to preserved it and have a longer shelf life.




 I love sauerkraut because there are endless ways to make it. I am currently making some more kraut with dill I will be posting soon. I ate it with everything from eggs, black bean wraps to spring rolls. It is a good side dish with anything!


Ingredients:
1/2 cabbage shredded, purple is great also, I am doubling it next time because I ate it so fast
1 carrot shredded
Few sprig parsley chopped
Half habanero diced, more if you like it hot. This was about medium
3-4 garlic cloves diced
1/2 tablespoon Himalayan Salt (Himalayan Salt is a very purifying salt,I very  much recommend)

 Mix everything together in a glass container. You are not suppose to use metal containers as the acid is corrosive. I mix it ever so often and push it down with a pestle. The salt will pull water out of the cabbage making the brine.After a couple hours I place in mason jars and cover with a coffee filter. If you use a lid you want it loose. I prefer a coffee filter and rubber band. The longer is sits the more pickled it will get. I can eat it the next day and it's perfect. What ever your preference is.

Tip: If your not getting enough water come out of the cabbage jut add some water.


   photo 01BC73B7716DAF968B14DF126EE4CCA8_zpsd25a3790.png  photo D1093A6DD68335F2043E08F94B839EA2_zps4d5ed7c1.png

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I look forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete