Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My Garden Renovation

A few weeks ago we started clearing out our back yard for my vegetable and fruit garden. My garden is my favorite hobby to do out of anything. I not only like it for the organic food but because I absolutely love flowers and plants. My passion for flowers begin when I took floral design in high school. I ended up interning at a flower shop and landed a job. I ended up be a floral designer for about 5 years and I have never loved a job as much, we'll besides be a mom.
Since I am a mother of three gardening is a great way for me to teach my kids about taking care of their own food and maintaining a home. It is also something we can do together and have fun. My kids love picking fruits and vegetables. It also teaches them about photosynthesis right in heir backyard. I also am a little old school. If it were up to me I would have a farm and make everything from scratch so I wouldn't have to go to a market and buy processed foods but I know that is a little extreme.
This year we started out with seeds. We normally buy small plants but I wanted to go all out this year with tons of plants and that can get pricey if they are already grown. I bought containers at lowes, (pictures below) and planted my seeds inside my house next to a window. Within a week they started sprouting. Two more weeks til the last frost and I will be transplanting them outside!
I also put below what I want to do with the rest of my yard. It looks so small in a picture but when your down there chopping all the brush down it feels like forrreevvveer! Our lot size is 1.5 acres and we are planning to clear out a little less then acre. I can't wait til it's all done and let's hope it doesn't take all summer!

 A trip to the local Nursery


Feb 7th when we first started clearing out the yard

 Feb 17th, hard to tell the difference because we cleared more in the back. We still have the whole right side to do.

 Here is my plan.The patio I want in the back because there is a nice view and it is next to the water so we can watch the kids. For the play set I want to put mulch down in a circle so it is nice and soft. My husband wants to put up a fence but I don't want to because I love how open and natural it looks. We still have to burn all the wood and brush!
 
Here is me getting some man work done :)


I posted this picture because I wanted to show how beautifully green it gets here :)





  Here are the seeds we planted, we are planning on planting anything we eat so our garden will be HUGE! I want to freeze what I have for the winter. I really recommend this little greenhouse containers for keeping the moisture consistent.


  
Can you guess what these are?

Are you all planting anything this year?

Laugh and Love
 Christine  


2 comments: