Thursday, June 20, 2013

Healthier Rice Bowl

Being part Vietnamese we eat a lot of rice. My kids love rice but it doesn't have that much nutritional value. I switch out the white rice for quinoa, black rice or red rice. If your kids are not use to the quinoa you can add a little bit with white rice. It's really good and you can't even tell a difference, my kids love it.  When I do feed my kids quinoa or rice I make them rice balls. It's a lot less messier especially when you have toddlers just beginning to eat with her hands. Super simple to make them. Get your hands damp with some water, grab some cooked quinoa and mush it together like dough. Then roll it in a little ball. My kids love them and they even say it taste better!

Here is a typical quinoa bowl with tofu, shrimp and broccoli. I garnished it with green onions, cilantro and a lime wedge. For the sauce you could use soy sauce, teriyaki or Japanese dressing.

The kids plate With their quinoa balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment